Follow:   facebook   twitter

Catoosa County attempted murder suspect Weldon now in custody

catoosa attempted murder suspect in custody

A two-day manhunt in Catoosa County for Wesley Gage Weldon ended Thursday night, Jan. 26, when authorities were able to track him down and get him into custody.

According to Catoosa County Sheriff Gary Sisk, his agency received a tip Thursday evening that Weldon was holding up at a residence in Walker County.

Around 8:30 p.m., members of the Catoosa and Walker County sheriff's departments and U.S. Marshalls approached the residence, where they indeed located Weldon.

Sisk says Weldon tried to evade officers again, but was tased and immediately taken into custody.

"He tried to run from us again, but we were able get him stopped quickly so he couldn't get away this time," Sisk said.

Local authorities had been searching for the 41-yearl-old Weldon since Wednesday afternoon when he took off on a motorcycle and then on foot when Catoosa County sheriff's detectives attempted to serve warrants on him.

Weldon, the brother of Ringgold attorney and former House District 3 state representative Tom Weldon, is currently in jail without bond facing charges of attempted murder, kidnapping, false imprisonment, and theft by receiving stolen property.

Sisk says detectives and deputies tracked Weldon to his Potts Road home Wednesday, at which time he initiated a chase with police on a motorcycle.

"We had a SWAT team out at his house and there was a chase," Sisk said.

Potts Road was shut down most of the afternoon, while a K-9 unit and helicopter canvassed the area.

"He took off on a motorcycle and we chased him," Sisk said. "He dumped the motorcycle and took off on foot. We did a good search of the area with the K-9, which tracked him to a road where we lost the trail. We believe he had another cell phone with him and that he either called for a ride, or possibly just saw someone and was able to get picked up. We don't believe he's in the area right now."

While searching Weldon's home and property Wednesday afternoon, detectives discovered he had stolen motorcycles in his possession.

Weldon has been arrested multiple times over the years on charges varying from weapons, drug possession, and assault. He landed on the department's radar again on Jan. 13. In that instance, deputies were dispatched to another Potts Road residence regarding a suspicious man who'd shown up naked, beaten and bleeding.

Deputies eventually located the man, who claimed he'd been tied up and beaten overnight at Weldon's residence.

When deputies and detectives went to Weldon's home, they found they'd just missed Weldon, but did discover blood and other evidence that the beaten man had in fact been held captive there.

Read More (Northwest Georgia News)

Share this: